Having correct harmonized schedule code classification is important to calculate duties and taxes. DHL can support you with code classification.
What is an HS code?
- An internationally accepted system of names and numbers used to classify traded products
- Maintained by the World Trade Organization, these codes are standardized across all countries in the WTO at 6 digits. Past digits, it becomes country-specific
- Find the average duty rates by HS code and country here: http://tariffdata.wto.org/ReportersAndProducts.aspx
Why do I need HS codes?
- Determines the tariff and duty rates of the traded products
- Identifies products that are imported or exported through a country’s borders
- Classifies & categorizes products in a worldwide system used for customs clearance purposes
What if I don't have my HS codes?
- Many merchants don’t realize they do have them – on the import documents!
- Your manufacturer or carriers may have them
- You can search online for informational purposes using UK Govt website for an idea of possible ones: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections
HS code strategy
When you choose the Pricing Strategy to apply, consider the fee calculation take in account the 6-digit level to return the value based on the configuration: average, maximum or minimum. The following examples show the logic appplied to the same product, shipping for different destinations.
Example 1: Shipping to USA
Example 2: Shipping to UK
Add HS code with bulk editor
- Please open your Products in Shopify.
- First of all, please select the products you want to edit.
- After that, please select these fields, which you want to edit for several of your products.
- Afterwards you can edit the HS codes of your products collectively.
- Do not forget to save your changes.